The biggest source of emissions come from Dina’s food procurement with dairy accounting for nearly 30% their total carbon related to food and 10% of the total carbon footprint.
Dina Foods will analyse the supply chain for ingredients that can be sourced closer to home and expand the use of certified foods to other categories. Dina Foods already uses only certified UTZ chocolate which shows a commitment to more sustainable farming with better opportunities for farmers, their families and the planet.
Waste and Recycling
No waste to landfill; bakery waste converted to animal feed and energy. An approximate saving of 38 tonnes of CO2 e per year.
Dina Foods produces around 31 tonnes of waste annually. 12% is recycled and the rest is combusted for energy. Furthermore, Dina Foods will:
- Require commitments from suppliers to reduce packaging to cut down on waste.
- Conduct staff training to ensure waste is being effectively sorted.
- Conduct waste audits to see how waste streams can be optimised.
- Segregate food waste in all kitchen and canteen areas and ensure recycling within their HQ.
- Build a roadmap towards eliminating single use items and work with suppliers to create novel ways to keep product quality while reducing waste.
Dina Foods has a small fleet of company vehicles made up of mostly diesel and some hybrid vehicles. The majority of employees commute by bus, while approx. 25% walk or cycle. Company vehicles are responsible for 43 tonnes of CO2e while staff commuting is responsible for another 66
tonnes including two to three trips to European food conventions each year.
Dina Foods will convert fleet to electric vehicles and upgrade their internal green policies to ask staff to commit to commuting by walking, cycling or public transport.